WE CAN'T SEE THE FOREST FOR THE WASTE

HAVE WE LOST ALREADY? IS THE DRAMATIC PRESENTATION OF CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION JUSTIFIED?

We think that it‘s right to draw attention to the drastic changes of the conditions of air, oceans, forests and the nature of our ecosystem. At the same time, we must focus on good projects and organisations that are representative for all the others here. No matter how great the problems on our planet are: the dedication of people and the will to change this are greater. Every individual can contribute to preventing the situation from deteriorating.

GREAT PACIFIC GARBAGE PATCH

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch isn’t a picturesque coral reef. It’s a 1.6 million square metres large floating island of garbage between Hawaii and California. That is four times the size of the Federal Republic of Germany. The floating garbage island is made up of 1.800.000.000.000 plastic parts.
(Scientific Reports, Article number: 4666 (2018))

ENGLAND ENTIRELY DEFORESTED

A study shows that tropical forests with a total area of twelve billion hectares have been permanently destroyed in 2018. That area corresponds roughly to the size of England.
(Global Forest Watch, April 2019)

GARBAGE AND THE ICEBERG EFFECT

Contamination in our seas and oceans is subject to the same principles that we know from icebergs. We only get to see approx. 15%, while the other 85% are underwater.

73 MILLION TREES

The World Bank once forecast that about 75% of the Brazilian rain forest would be irrevocably lost by 2025. The non-profit organisation “Conservation International” has the goal of planting 73 million trees in the Amazon Rain Forest by 2025.

THE GREEN LUNG

The Brazilian rain forest saves up to 440 billion tons of CO2 in biomass and soil. By comparison, the breath of all people living at the moment contains about three billion tons of carbon dioxide.

NEW. NEWER. RENEWABLE.

In 2019, the share of renewable energy in Germany’s energy consumption is at 16.6%. This is an increase of approx. 11% as compared to 2004. This continued the positive trend of the last years. The share of renewable energies in the electricity sector is at 37.8%, for heat at 14.2% and in the traffic sector at 5.7%.

POLLUTION OF THE WORLD'S OCEANS

According to UNEP estimates, up to 18.000 plastic pieces of various sizes are now floating on every square kilometre of the water surface. That makes a total of 10 million tons of garbage.

THE OCEAN CLEANUP

There are many good projects that work towards clean seas. One of them is “The Ocean Cleanup”. Founded in 2013 by Boyan Slat, 19 years old at the time, and financed by crowdfunding, the organisation is now successfully fishing plastic from the sea with its floating systems. Additional plants are to be installed in future in order to catch up to 50.000 kilogram of plastic per day from large rivers.